Trump threatens Oman, FBI office, Pamela Anderson’s watermelon recipe

ADVERTISEMENT

View in Browser

Your sustained support helps make independent journalism possible. Make a recurring gift and you can join us tomorrow for an exclusive conversation with AP journalists about their experience covering extreme weather up close and what it’s like reporting amid a changing climate.

By Nadja Lovadinov

August 18, 2026

By Nadja Lovadinov

August 18, 2026

 
 

Welcome back. In the news today: A new report finds Trump has more ultra-rich officials than his three predecessors combined; he threatens Oman; and a judge blocks the administration from relocating the FBI headquarters to the Ronald Reagan Building. Also, thanks to everyone who emailed your hot weather food tips. Today we’ll take a look at some of them.

 
President Donald Trump in the Oval Office at the White House, July 21, in Washington.

President Donald Trump in the Oval Office at the White House, July 21, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

POLITICS

Trump dwarfs his predecessors in the number of ultra-rich in his second White House, report shows

The number of people worth at least $100 million whom the Republican president has appointed to his administration is more than four times the combined total under the three previous presidents, according to a report from the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen. Read more.

Why this matters:

  • In all, 57 Trump officials are worth at least $100 million, including 17 ambassadors and the remaining 40 in senior posts across the executive branch. The president, himself a billionaire, has described his inclination toward appointing the ultrawealthy as deference to financial success. And yet, Trump, who owes his White House comeback to support from middle-income, working Americans drawn to his pledge to lower everyday costs, now faces a midterm election electorate decidedly less keen on his handling of the economy.

RELATED COVERAGE ➤

  • Trump administration briefly pauses contentious border project in Texas’ Big Bend National Park 
  • Trump focuses on violent crime reduction as he boosts GOP candidates at New York police academy 
  • US school vaccination rates inch down yet again and exemptions reach record high 
  • Florida holds primaries for governor and Congress, testing Trump’s grip on adopted state 
  • 2 Dan Sullivans face off in Alaska’s US Senate primary, which also features a former congresswoman
 

WORLD NEWS

Trump threatens Oman as it works with Iran on a Strait of Hormuz deal

Iran said it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz. President Donald Trump told Fox News that the U.S. would bomb Oman if it “gets in the way.” Fully reopening the waterway has been a key U.S. demand. Read more.

Why this matters:

  • This is not the first time that Trump has threatened Oman. In May, he told reporters during a Cabinet meeting that “Oman will behave just like everybody else, or we will have to blow them up.” Meanwhile, the 60-day negotiating period to find a peace deal between the United States and Iran was expiring, with no word of an extension and both sides seemingly as far apart as they were at the start.

RELATED COVERAGE ➤

  • Where things stand as deadline for an Iran peace deal passes
  • The ripple effects of the Iran war could threaten education for millions of kids around the world
  • Marathon US-Israel meeting produces no firm commitment to American plan for Gaza
  • Trump’s slight of South Korea in favor of the North raises broader US security concerns
 

POLITICS

Judge blocks the Trump administration from moving FBI headquarters to DC office building

The decision found that the administration illegally tossed out a previously approved plan to build a new facility nearby in Maryland, picked during former President Joe Biden’s administration. Trump’s appointees sought to repurpose the Ronald Reagan Building instead. Read more.

Why this matters:

  • The ruling is the latest development in a yearslong battle over the FBI’s main office. The suit was brought by the state of Maryland and Prince George’s County. “This is not the first time courts have tried to undermine the administration in its goal to make government more cost-effective for American taxpayers,” the FBI said in a statement. “The court has chosen to impermissibly intervene for political reasons.”

RELATED COVERAGE ➤

  • Justice Department watchdog to review DEA tactic that permitted deadly fentanyl to hit streets
  • DOJ creates a new pathway to restore gun rights for some convicted of felonies
  • Supreme Court again rebuffs Trump’s push to toss out $5 million verdict in E. Jean Carroll case
  • SCOTUS asked to review Texas law requiring the Ten Commandments in public schools
 

ADVERTISEMENT

 

IN OTHER NEWS

READ

Luigi Mangione: Trial postponed indefinitely amid double jeopardy fight

Hawaii tropical storm: 1 death tied to Lala as more than 100,000 remain without power

Congo: Fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst

Lindsay Clancy: Mom and sister testify about mother’s declining mental state

Looming threat: Swiss residents fear rock collapse as thawing permafrost destabilizes the Alps

Today in History: In 1920, the 19th Amendment was ratified, giving women the right to vote

WATCH

Hayden Panettiere: A look at the late actor’s prolific career

Tokyo: Festivalgoers drenched with buckets of water