Good morning. We have learned more details about the Canadian Army’s planned reorganization – more on that below, along with updates from Iran and Congo. Let’s get to it.

Prime Minister Mark Carney walks past members of the Canadian Armed Forces as he visits the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) 440 Transport Squadron in Yellowknife, March 12. Carlos Osorio/Reuters

The latest: A leaked internal document shows the Canadian Army’s planned reorganization will include a massive surge in combat capabilities as part of a new division that is set to be based in Edmonton. It would be centred on armoured vehicles, mobile artillery and drone warfare, according to the document. The Canadian Forces confirmed an organization chart posted to social media was authentic.

The context: Last year the army announced a modernization plan to expand its ranks and prepare for the possibility of major conflict. Although the plan is part of a long-term effort, Donald Trump’s trade war and rhetoric toward Canada has created new urgency.

What’s next: Canada has relied on allies to fill major battlefield gaps for decades, particularly in long-range firepower and air defence. The structure depicted in the org chart would represent the most substantial change to the army in generations, said Lee Windsor, an expert on the Canadian military. “It’s the next most significant major progression in the organization of the Canadian Army since 1941.”

Meanwhile: The U.S. is suspending a joint defence advisory body with Canada as apparent punishment for Prime Minister Mark Carney’s viral World Economic Forum speech in Davos, Switzerland, in January.

A woman walks next to a mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18. Majid-Asgaripour/Reuters

The latest: U.S. President Donald Trump said he paused a planned attack against Iran to allow for negotiations to continue. Iran sent a new peace proposal to the United States through Pakistan, which has been acting as mediator. Tensions remained high in the Middle East and the notion of renewed attacks on Iran sent oil prices up. Government bonds continued their selloff on fears that the continued blockade of the Strait of Hormuz will keep boosting energy costs and stoking inflation.

What’s next: Canadian government bond yields jumped to multiyear highs on Friday. For investors looking ahead to tomorrow’s release of domestic inflation figures, this reaffirmed expectations of central bank tightening. Some economists are predicting a global recession unless oil flows restart from the Persian Gulf.

The Montreal Canadiens organist Diane Bibaud plays at the Bell Centre on May 13 for Game 4 of the NHL playoff series. Adil Boukind/The Globe and Mail

The latest: Since 1987, when she was eight years old, Diane Bibaud has been an organist for the Montreal Canadiens (with only brief interruptions). Fans treat her as though she were on the team, but even after 39 years, she gets stage fright before every home game. Although the role might feel obsolete, Eric Andrew-Gee writes that she is the artisanal soul of the Bell Centre’s multimedia entertainment machine.

Who’s next: Shannyn Hill is mixing music as the official DJ for Canada’s long-awaited first WNBA franchise. Before playing for Toronto Tempo’s inaugural season, the 29-year-old lived off factory jobs, surfed on friends’ couches, got mentorship from prominent Toronto DJs and a life-changing spot in a music program. She’s living proof of what can happen when you shoot your shot.

The latest: A businessman appointed to the board of an Alberta investment agency by Premier Danielle Smith has said he is a certified accountant despite not having those credentials, The Globe and Mail has found. Financial statements show that Sam Jaber has variously identified himself as a “CPA,” “certified public accountant” and member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, but both professional organizations say he has never been a member.

The context: The RCMP executed a search warrant in March at the offices of MHCare, and one of Jaber’s accounting businesses, Jaberson & Associates Inc., in connection with its probe of the government’s procurement controversy. In the days after the search, he announced he was voluntarily stepping away from his duties with Invest Alberta.